Thursday, October 13, 2005

what I accomplished today

On my way to work this morning, I figured out why LA is so impersonal. It's because everyone is so superficial. Superficiality (yes, that's a word) doesn't work among friends. Say you lived in a small town where everyone knew everyone else. You try to act like someone you're not, or drive a buggy that everyone knows you can't afford, and it gets you nowhere. People call you out. It doesn't work. But say you were a stranger to that town. You pull up in your nice new Italian hand-made 2 hp buggy and everyone thinks you're rich. See? Showing off only works if people don't know you. So LA'ers purposely try to not-know people so they can be superficial. But the fact that you don't know anyone pressures you to show off and BE superficial. Thus, perpetuating this vicious cycle that is LA life. I know, deep, huh.

No comments: