"Hi, my name is Nabela."
"Hi, I'm Jeff. Nice to meet you."
"You don't look like a Jeff."
What do I look like then? People have only said this to me a handful of times throughout my life. Each time, I don't know how to respond. If someone says you don't look like your name, how are you supposed to take that? I'm conflicted between anger (who are you to decide how Jeff's should look?), confusion (maybe I've been misnamed, who am I?), and curiosity (what about my appearance differs from other Jeff's?). Usually curiosity wins out. In this case, there is a perfectly reasonable explanation.
"Really? What makes you say that?"
"I dunno. You just look like you should have a Hawaiian name, like Aqua or something."
...I think I should cut my hair.....or change my name to Aqua....
Thursday, May 04, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
hey i was one of the ppl who said you don't look like a jeff! to me, it's a very caucasian name. from what i can tell, you're not caucasian so the name doesn't seem to fit you.
i definitely think you look like jeff. i mean, how can you not. you ARE him. jeff are you, indeed.
Funny, I never get that kind of comment. Instead, my introductions always go something like this:
Stranger: What's your name?
Me: (enunciating carefully) Justina.
Stranger: Oh, nice to meet you, Christina.
As a side note, though, I agree with Nabela; you SHOULD change your name to "Aqua". You wouldn't want to disappoint those people who are expecting to hear a Hawaiian name when you introduce yourself.
You have to introduce yourself as Jeff-er-ey in an Asian sort of way. That way no one will question it.
emily said... hi aqua! :)
hmmmm. but NOT as caucasian as Brad or Keith . . .
All the times I've been to HI, I've NEVER met a Hawaiian named Aqua. They made that up.
DON'T CUT YOUR HAIR. . . change your name if you have to.
Post a Comment